The other day I was watching an episode of Boy Meets World, a childhood favorite of mine. Cory was struggling as he came to terms with the fact that he was average. He wasn't a great painter. A beautiful musician. A talented athlete. Instead he was just... Cory. He blamed his father, because he had turned out like him. And ultimately he had to realize, that of all the things in the world he could be, he was the best at being Cory.
This resonated with me. I don't consider myself particularly amazing at anything. It's not that I don't have my moments, but we all do. I don't think there is anything that really truly could set me apart. You will never read a headline about me. You will probably never see my face on television.
When I was a child, I wanted to be an actress. I used to put on these elaborate plays for my family. I acted in school plays, went to the theatre with my mom, lost myself in movies. At some point, however, I became intimidated by the idea of being great at acting. I got scared because I never really believe I could be the best at it. Someone would always be better than me. I remember waiting all day to try out for a commercial spot. I practiced my lines with my mom in a fancy hotel. I got excited as I got closer to auditioning. That was, until the moment I reached the stage. I froze. There was a camera. Eyes on me. People waiting. And I couldn't do it. I fumbled through my lines and ran off stage knowing I was never going to be famous.
I don't blame my mom or my dad or my teachers. I don't even really blame myself. I just wish, at some point, someone would have told me that I didn't have to be the greatest. That if I tried hard, did my best, treated others well, and always kept an open mind, I would excel.
I am not mad that I am average. In fact, my particular combination of normal is just weird enough and unique enough that I know I am special. I will do great at my job. I will leave an impression on the people around me. I will fall in love. Someone will fall in love with me. I will never live the type of life that gets written about in novels or filmed for the big screen.
But I will excel in my own life and all that matters is that it is mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment