Yes. But...
Happiness is being loved for who you are.
Today, I watched Hector and the Search for Happiness (highly recommend). During the movie, this line really struck home with me. I think my recent and abundant growth has been so centered around finding the "true Veronica" here and no longer living a life of hiding from myself. It's terrifying, by the way, to be yourself. Being rejected for being fake is far more excusable and understandable. Being rejected for being yourself hurts.
When I think about falling in love, I get terrified. I am so afraid of not being enough. I am so scared that someone will only love me for the idea of me. I want someone to love me because they have seen the true me. The weird, the gross, the kind, the charming, the lacking, the spontaneous, the fragile, the brave. I want someone to have seen all of it, and they still believe that I am wonderful, beautiful and lovable.
I lived a good portion of my life trying to be someone I am not. I tried to be the provider, the good christian girl, the gay's best friend, the silent shoulder to cry on and so many other things. I worked so hard at trying to shape myself into the person I thought everyone wanted me to be. I was pretty good at it for awhile, but always got thrown off when someone new came along and wanted something different from me. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be more than one person at a time? I am no good at it.
So yes. I want to fall in love. I want someone to fall in love with me. But first I need to really figure out how to be Veronica, completely. I need to be in love with what I have to offer. I need to be enough for myself. Because if I am not enough for myself, how can I ever be enough for someone else?
That being said. I think I am almost there. I am learning to love Veronica more and more with every day. I am learning things about myself constantly. And you know what? Even with the struggles and the flaws and the potential shortcomings, I think I am pretty great.
No comments:
Post a Comment